[Dnsmon-test] maximum number of UDMs

Gilles Massen gilles.massen at restena.lu
Thu Mar 6 15:51:34 CET 2014

Hi Robert,

>>> While this is a general Atlas issue, DNSMON measurements obviously
>>> contribute significantly to that limit. Considering that the measured
>>> servers are supposed to be public DNS servers with at least some
>>> muscles, would it be possible to either raise the limit for these
>>> servers, or simply ignore the DNSMON measurements in the total count?
>> If you ignore measurements could we also ignore the "Map
>> VisualisationsĀ²[1] measurement IDĀ¹s
>
> ... since we're running these measurements already, you can just use their
> results without specifying your own. Granted, the system in general does not
> yet offer you the alternatives -- but all of them are listed inside DNSMON.

In theory, some or even most of the time yes. In practice, if you are
drilling into a specific issue, it is hugely more convenient to create
the specific one-off measurements you need rather than wade through
other UDMs / json results for finding the one line you need. Not to
mention that you might need a specific combination of flags.

(another approach might be to have one-off UDMs weight less in the
allowed maximum, if that makes sense...)

best,
Gilles

--
Fondation RESTENA - DNS-LU