[Dnsmon-test] DNSMON update

Gilles Massen gilles.massen at restena.lu
Mon Feb 24 09:11:36 CET 2014

Hi,

> We again would like to encourage you to provide us feedback (good or bad)
> about the service. Specifically, there was a request from Anand:
>
>> I'm speaking here as a DNS server operator, and not as a staff member. I
>> prefer measurements to NOT use retry, so that if there is an issue with
>> my DNS servers, I can see it quickly. If a probe uses retries, then it
>> will hide operational issues.

My wishes:

1. do retries, but make it clear when/how retries were involved.
(reason: it is interesting to know if communication works but never for
the first packet (think of broken load or path balancing))

2. if that is not possible, then don't retry (I'd rather have no retry
than hidden retry)

best,
Gilles

--