[Dnsmon-test] Feedback: interface

Gilles Massen gilles.massen at restena.lu
Thu Feb 13 16:35:42 CET 2014

Hi,

On 02/13/2014 03:35 PM, Robert Kisteleki wrote:

>> - a button "move the current timewindow to the most current time" ( >>|
>> ) would be useful
>
> Good idea -- but should it keep the current zoom level, or zoom in on the
> last X?

Without any strong feelings, the least surprising would be to keep the
current zoom level - i.e. simply move the window. Zoom is a separate
funtion.

>> - I'm unable to display a timewindow <11h by manipulating the time bar -
>> and manipulating the time bar when a smaller window is displayed resets
>> it to approx. 11h. Bug?
>
> We'll need a bit more elaborate description on this.

I'll try to be clearer:
- open a view on a domain.
- the default view seems to show the last 24h.
- now in the bottom time bar: try to make the blue box smaller: it will
stick to day boundaries.
- trying to move the blue box by anything but 24h will not work either,
again it will move to the closest day boundaries.

I hope this is clearer. The 11h were an artifact of trying earlier today
:) The behavior might be designed like this, but it feels surprising
(and makes the timebar a bit less flexible). I'd rather just ignore the
day boundaries.

>> - it would be nice if the "(overview)" would display the data on the
>> time that was chosen (rather than the most recent) - but I think that'd
>> be a (future?) Atlas feature?
>
> The (overview) link takes you to the measurement overview, regardless of
> time selection. the (SOA responses) link gives you the data for the cell you
> selected.

That's what I understood. Having a more specific (overview) would be a
new Atlas feature (I think one that has already be mentioned on the
atlas list).

>> Navigation: the path domain -> server -> probes is fairly easy. What
>> would be nice is a from server at probe to other-server at sameprobe, and a
>> view "how does this probe see (my?) other servers".
>
> This is basically the "probes" view in the old DNSMON. It'd be useful to
> know how others feel about this?

It's basically the same, but I'd rather have it not as crowded as the
old view (i.e. specific to the nameservers of the currently watched
domain). My use case as an operator is to check if a site (probe) has
actually a degraded service on all my servers or just on a subset.

Best,
Gilles

--
Fondation RESTENA - DNS-LU