[Dnsmon-test] Feedback: interface

Robert Kisteleki robert at ripe.net
Thu Feb 13 15:35:25 CET 2014

Hello,

Thank you for this feedback. We'll try to answer some, and leave some others
for discussion...

See below.

On 2014.02.13. 14:03, Gilles Massen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all congratulations for the new DNSMON interface. It looks
> really promising, and whatever I'm saying next should not make you think
> that I don't like it.
>
> I've split my first round of comments into purely interface related and
> more backend stuff (in a next email) so that follow-up discussions is
> easier.
>
> So, in no particular order:
>
> Time selection. This could use some enhancements:
> - it is hard to see precisely what timeframe is actually displayed. I
> would really like to have it spelled out, rather than having to decode
> the legend.

Indeed, we'll make the precise times textually readable.

> - in order to select a timeframe, it would be nice if the date picker
> would allow to pick/enter date and time, for clarity's sake.

Point taken, we'll add it.

> - a button "move the current timewindow to the most current time" ( >>|
> ) would be useful

Good idea -- but should it keep the current zoom level, or zoom in on the
last X?

> - I'm unable to display a timewindow <11h by manipulating the time bar -
> and manipulating the time bar when a smaller window is displayed resets
> it to approx. 11h. Bug?

We'll need a bit more elaborate description on this.

> Save the graphs as pictures: this would be helpful for inclusion into
> documents, reports,... A simple screenshot works but will not scale with
> the number of probes (and is annoying).

For now the screen shot is what works, but we could consider an SVG export.

> Links to the Atlas interface:
> - it would be nice if by clicking on a dataset, then "(overview)" a tab
> in an open Atlas window would be opened, instead of a new window. If
> such a thing is possible. Besides, if you are not logged in you don't
> get the measurement (after providing credentials), only the default
> screen. (bug with atlas?)

This is a genuine bug when one has to log in; we're evaluating what we can
do about this. In the meantime, you have to click, log in and click again.

> - it would be nice if the "(overview)" would display the data on the
> time that was chosen (rather than the most recent) - but I think that'd
> be a (future?) Atlas feature?

The (overview) link takes you to the measurement overview, regardless of
time selection. the (SOA responses) link gives you the data for the cell you
selected.

> Data: getting the Json data should be possible either for the chosen
> data point (like now), or for the displayed data (servers/probes + time)
> or even for a selection.

Let's call this the "download raw data for what I see now" feature. We'll
put it on the list.

> Navigation: the path domain -> server -> probes is fairly easy. What
> would be nice is a from server at probe to other-server at sameprobe, and a
> view "how does this probe see (my?) other servers".

This is basically the "probes" view in the old DNSMON. It'd be useful to
know how others feel about this?

> That's be my list for now - feel free to let me know if I missed
> something obvious.

Thanks again for these!

Regards,
Robert