[Dnsmon-test] Feedback

Robert Kisteleki robert at ripe.net
Thu Feb 13 17:18:19 CET 2014

Hi,

On 2014.02.13. 16:37, John Bond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I Just noticed that there is some white space between 8:50 and 9:00[1].  I
> suspect this is missing data in the backend but how is this distinguished
> from an unanswered query and would it be possible to have more information
> for this error condition.  Perhaps just a grey box with an unknown status?

White really means no data -- just like in the old system. Today we had a
server misconfiguration which causes the above gap.

> The  'Unanswered queries colours range¹ is too high for my preference. I
> would prefer these colours to highlight issues that need investigating.
> so for me values closer to Green ¾ 15% Red „ 30%.  That said this is a
> public interface and setting values to low would generate unfounded worry
> from people who misunderstand the results.  I did not see mention of a
> private or personalised view but if there was one this is something that
> could be set there.

Just click on the values (top of the graphs, red/green thing) or the icon
that looks like a horizontal slider. Alternatively, you can go the old
fashioned way and read the documentation page :-)

> On the flip side the default response times is a bit too low.  Looking at
> the graph for the root servers now would suggest that there where serious
> problems with the root infrastructure. However the truth of the matter is
> that, as Gilles pointed out, most of the anchor infrastructure is in
> Europe, therefor the rtt measurement is biased towards infrastructure
> therein.

Same here; the different views have different default thresholds, but you
can personalise them.

> As a feature request it would be nice to use this as an embedded widget.
> Please keep this in mind when implementing the permalinks

Yes, we're working towards this.

> Similar to Gilles request for a navigation of "server at probe to
> other-server at sameprobe²  It would be nice to have a view of probe -> all
> domains.  This would help clarify is this probe having an issue with
> everything therefor ill ignore it or is it just having an issue with me.

Noted!

Cheers,
Robert