[Dnsmon-test] DNSMON testing

Romeo Zwart rzwart at ripe.net
Tue Mar 4 13:17:38 CET 2014

Hi Peter,

On 14/03/04 11:52 , Peter Koch wrote:
> All,
>
>> We are ready for the first phase of testing the new DNSMON service.
>
> I'm chiming in very late after Robert kindly twisted my arm.

Apologies for my share of strong-arming you into this ;-) but thanks a
lot for taking the effort to properly review and responding explicitly
and extensively.

[... loads of relevant points hidden here ...]

> Finally, with the "going live" around the door, what is the migration plan?
> In other words: will both services run in parallel to give us time to
> migrate our own software from DNSMON data to ATLAS data?  How quick can
> (historic) DNSMON data be fed into the new system?

Those are two questions. ;)

As Robert also mentioned, we very dearly want to keep away from the idea
of feeding old data into the new system, if that would even be possible,
bcs of incompatibilities at various levels.

The other question is about running things in parallel. We do plan to do
that, however, we would like to keep the overlap period as short as
possible. We are currently thinking about the overlap to be counted in
weeks (after going live), rather than months. So I would like to shut
down the old DNSMON early May.

I'd be very interested to hear what timeline you would need to make a
transition.

Thanks,
Romeo