[Dnsmon-test] DNSMON testing update

Chris Amin camin at ripe.net
Mon Mar 3 16:30:34 CET 2014

Dear testers,

During the past few weeks we have made plenty of progress and gotten a
lot of feedback. In particular, we would like to announce the following
features and decisions:

* Retries

What we heard was that some people were strongly opposed to having
retries, and that everybody could agree that we definitely shouldn't use
retries *and* hide whether they were used. Consequently, we will be
disabling retries for all DNSMON measurements as of tomorrow.
If we find that the system is overly sensitive to certain measurement
failures, then we will address that separately.

* Per-probe view

There was a need to get an idea of how a particular probe was seeing the
wider DNS, so that operators could see whether an event was  something
to do with their servers or something to do with the probe. Accordingly,
we have created a page which displays, for a single vantage point, the
latest 10 measurement results for every server monitored as part of DNSMON.

This view can be reached in two ways:

1. By visiting https://atlas.ripe.net/dnsmon/probes (also present in the
navigation menu as "Probes"), which lists all RIPE Atlas Anchors used
for DNSMON measurements. Each row links to a per-probe view.
2. By clicking on a probe label in the main DNSMON visualisation.

Example use case: you can see broken IPv4 connectivity from a probe to a
server, and want to know whether it is a problem with the server or the
probe.

https://atlas.ripe.net/dnsmon/group/3.4.e164.arpa.?dnsmon.server=193.171.255.10&dnsmon.zone=3.4.e164.arpa.&dnsmon.type=probes&dnsmon.startTime=1393810814&dnsmon.endTime=1393852795&dnsmon.selectedRows=&dnsmon.session.show-filter=pls&dnsmon.session.color_range_pls=0-12-12-62-100&dnsmon.session.exclude-errors=true

By clicking on the label for the relevant probe (in this case
uk-cdf-as48294), you will be taken to
https://atlas.ripe.net/dnsmon/probes/6028?zone=3.4.e164.arpa. where you
can see that this probe is indeed a (still!) rare case of broken IPv4
and working IPv6.

* Making it easier to see the details of a measurement result

For the time aggregations, it is now possible to download results for
every measurement type (not just the visualised SOA + traceroute) for a
particular time aggregation by clicking on a cell and then choosing a
download link.

For the "native" time resolution, we now provide details on the
individual DNS response within the onclick popup itself. For requests
with an answer, this means displaying a DNS-operator-readable string
(e.g. the SOA record). For requests without an answer, it means
displaying the error condition which was encountered.

* Other stuff

As usual, we have been working on various other fixes and enhancements,
some of which are listed on the testers page:

https://atlas.ripe.net/dnsmon/testing

The tool itself is still available at the usual URL:

https://atlas.ripe.net/dnsmon/index-page

Regards,
Chris