[Dnsmon-test] Second update to DNSMON + retries of DNS queries + 9AM outage

Chris Amin camin at ripe.net
Thu Feb 13 17:16:33 CET 2014

Dear testers,

We have deployed a new version of the DNSMON test with various bug fixes
and small improvements, including an issue where the date picker could
only be opened once.

In addition, we have changed a line in the testers page in the section
comparing the old and the new DNSMON implementations. We previously
stated that the RIPE Atlas measurements are not retried on failure
(whereas the old TTM boxes do carry out retries). However, RIPE Atlas
has gained the ability to carry out an arbitrary number of retries, and
uses a value of 10 by default. The data that we have collected so far
for the new DNSMON, and the visualisations, are therefore based on this
methodology.

We don't want to immediately change to using 0 retries, nor do we want
to change to match the exact settings of the old DNSMON, without
gathering feedback from you. So if you have a strong opinion on this,
please let us know.

Regards,
Chris

p.s.

You may have also noticed a gap in the visualisation just before 9AM
this morning. This was caused by a 15 minute outage on the controllers
responsible for communicating with the RIPE Atlas anchors.